MAKE EVERYDAY A HEYDAY.
love, light, sorrow, joy, faces, places, and the memories they hold -
these are the elements of our heyday

Hey There!

Heydays With Hanna is an online journal about travel memoirs, design musings, photographs, and personal reflections. I hope to be able to encourage you all to embrace everything about the mundane and extraordinary days and make every moment a Happy Heyday!
Latest Stories

HEYDAYS WITH MIKKE

Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines
I have been asked a couple of times why I named my blog 'Heydays with Hanna'. Often, the question would linger on what heydays really mean. Generally, the heyday is a noun used to express or describe one's most memorable or successful period in life. It usually connotes very specific times that are worth remembering. But I see the heyday as something that should be celebrated in a much simpler manner in order for us to fully see and appreciate the little but meaningful victories and even defeats of our everyday lives.

So what was often described as a noun in the singular form, I simply turned to plural (heyday to heydays) hoping that through this medium I get to share every essence of the heydays with you. As mentioned in my previous post, I decided to start a special section in the blog where I will be to introducing you to different people who share the same passion and pursuits in art, travel, or design. In a way, it is also an opportunity to collect people's different ideas of the heydays, which to me are equally beautiful and valuable.

As a first installation, I wish to introduce you to someone I practically grew up with - in a lot of sense. We met in church and became good friends who shared the same interest in art and fashion. Eventually, as we pursued different career paths, the love for all things creative remained in both of our lives. I digitally sat down with my good friend Mikke recently and gave him a round-up of questions to answer for me to be able to share with you, I also asked him to make a small creative collage project that best speaks about him as a person and a creative.
Mood Board by Mikke Tiu
A creative idea to decorate a wall or create a backdrop in your personal space

A lot of things unravel when you deliberately find the time to do the things you have always wanted to do. One of which is this creative project I call, 'mood board'. Inspired by sustainable fashion, earth-toned colors, and everyday wear, this collage is a mindful way of describing one's choice of everyday clothing. No words, purely images- open for interpretations. 
-
When asked about his kind of heydays, young Educator Mikke Tiu described it as a time to pursue hobbies and passion projects - things out of our daily routines and checklists. Aside from his duty as an educator, Mikke manages and event coordination and styling group called Happy and a clothing/styling business. Taking inspiration from the stories of people who worked their way to build their own brands or small ventures, he has grown to express his love for fashion and the arts by finding a way to extend it to people.

For people who know him, Mikke is known for five things - his unfathomable faith in God, his love for his family, his hardworking attitude, his humor, and his great sense in fashion. He is actually the friend who introduced me to the beautiful world of thrift fashion. Even before the idea of sustainable fashion came out as a trend, Mikke has already been practicing and sharing it with people he's close with. And in every sense, this kind of mindset has been a collective practice for Mikke not only in clothing but in life as well. Resourceful and creative in every way, one would definitely admire the eye that Mikke has when it comes to styling, whether it be people's outfits or different vignettes on events. 
'On weekends, I spend time with my family; most of the time I rest.'

As a young professional, Mikke values his weekends a lot. It is the time where he gets to spend time with his family or by himself in complete rest or doing something he loves or enjoys. Weekends also mean days for creative projects and discoveries. But more than anything, whichever day it is, as someone who grew up with him, I have seen Mikke unconditionally exercise his complete dependence and faith in the Lord. It is a characteristic that I truly admire and get inspired by.
A montage of travel photos by Mikke Tiu
One of the things that Mikke and I also share would be the love for travel. As teenagers, we dreamt of going on trips together and it was such an exciting experience for both of us when we were able to see Hong Kong together! Adventure for Mikke is when one relies entirely on the will of the Lord as He allows us to see the world that He created through our own eyes. It is a gift and experience to discover a new place and experience new things that we can learn from along the way. Travel in a way is a huge tool for people to collect creative inspirations and ideas as well as to learn something new about themselves. And if we would look into the places that Mikke sees through his visual diary The Creative Mister, we are given another perspective of how we could look at walls, objects, colors, textures, and people more than how we are already looking at it.

In our random Q&A, I asked him what he thinks he would be doing if he was not teaching, and he candidly answered 'I would like to work as a creative director in New York'. As a friend who has witnessed his personal, spiritual, and creative growth, I have learned that wherever Mikke sets his feet and hands on, one would not be able to deny the visual presence and influence of fashion. Through Mikke's creative mindset and practice, I am always reminded that the process does not necessarily always have to cost or seem much, sometimes all we need is patience, a clear vision, and imagination to visualize how you can turn something old or plain into something more bespoke and reflective of who you are as a person. In the same sense, it is that kind of mindset that enables us to turn our difficult days into stories of hope and pursuit; our productive and positive days into stories of encouragement and testimony.

The heydays are usually spent doing the things that you always wanted to do. Amid everything muggle and mundane, my insatiable thirst for fashion lives on.
Fashionably gracious, loving, and creative. Fashionably intentional and sincere. These are some of the many values that we can all learn from Mikke Tiu.

Happy Heyday!

-
FOLLOW MIKKE HERE:

Comments

  1. Wow! I love the series. I am so looking forward for more!

    Bee of https://beecaluya.com/ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee, how are you? I hope that you are doing well despite the heat and the prolonged ECQ! Thank you so much for taking time to drop by. Please keep in touch!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  2. Just came over here to gush over how beautiful your blog is! The layout, the header, and everything about it!

    Also, amazing idea for a series. That mood board is gorgeous. I have always liked the idea of having an actual physical mood board vs just something digital like a Pinterest board which is convenient but not quite as inspirational? Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Julia,

      I would have to agree with you, Pinterest and E-books are lovely and all, but it really feels different to have a physical take on things - mood boards, books, even to-do lists! I find myself to be more productive and effective when I get a 'hold' on things ;)

      Thank you so much for your kind words, I am glad we found each other's blog. It's meet-cutes like this that make life extra exciting and positive, especially in times like this. I hope that you are doing well and keeping yourself safe and healthy! Sending my warm regards to Cotton as well!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  3. Aww, I love this little series, I think it's a great way for us to get to know your friends and for you to shed light on the different kinds of people there are in the world. We're all different and we all like doing different things, I think this is great to really capture someone's personality. Thanks for sharing your childhood friend Mikke with us.

    Des | https://www.itsbetterinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Des! I totally agree with you, we are all different in a sense and that's what makes this world interesting. I also think that even the people we feel are alike with us still have a different take on approaching the same thing, and that's such a beautiful thing to see and get to witness.

      Thank you so much for dropping by, I'm glad to meet you here. Let's keep in touch <3 I hope you are safe and healthy!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)