MAKE EVERYDAY A HEYDAY.
love, light, sorrow, joy, faces, places, and the memories they hold -
these are the elements of our heyday

Hey There!

Heydays With Hanna is an online journal about travel memoirs, design musings, photographs, and personal reflections. I hope to be able to encourage you all to embrace everything about the mundane and extraordinary days and make every moment a Happy Heyday!
Latest Stories

THE THINGS WE LONG FOR

Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines

This time last year, I was on a bus ride home, from my full morning class. I remember freely walking around the streets, riding the public transportation without thinking too much of the surfaces that I touch, and most of all, the memory of interacting with my students and colleagues in the campus. I really took those simple things for granted, and my heart is dearly longing for those days lately.

I've been reading a lot of people express their longing for activities, people, places, and memories. Reading them could be a bit heartbreaking but at the same time, the tone of hope along with that longing is also encouraging and uplifting at the same time. It reminded me that all these things will pass, and having that sense of longing could be an avenue to keep pressing forward knowing and thinking that someday, we'll get to experience the things we long for again.

Today, I wish to look back a bit and share with you some of the things I look forward to experiencing, when all this is over and when we're all safe to get back out there again.
1. Visiting Museums and Galleries 
There's nothing I miss more than randomly deciding to go inside an art gallery or museum whether it be after work, while waiting for my husband, or when I travel. I truly miss that very quiet and personal time spent with myself, the space, and the artworks that are being exhibited. I miss reading through exhibit notes and pamphlets, I do also miss observing how everything is curated and how the space changes from one show to another. More than anything, I miss learning. Museums and galleries show me how much I do not know, they teach me to see things from other perspectives-way beyond my own, they teach me to appreciate and observe the process of how things come to place.

2. Riding the Plane
I believe I've talked about this before, I love the feeling of plane-takeoffs. While it is one of the scariest experiences because we are uncertain of how it will end up, it is also a majestic encounter for me. To be able to feel your body float across the sky, to see the city from above, to keep wondering how things are navigated, it's an overwhelming and wonderful experience for me. I miss looking from the window and see the colors and textures change. I miss hearing the announcement of takeoffs and arrivals. I truly cannot wait to ride the plane again, when all is safe and certain. And I'm sure that when that time comes again, it will be more meaningful, for all of us.

3. Commuting
In the Philippines, our main medium for commute would be: Tricycles, Jeepneys, and Buses. If you're living in a village, one of the ways to get out would be through the tricycle and I used to take this a lot. I never thought I'd see the day where I would actually say I miss riding this vehicle. I rode it to buy groceries, to get to the nearest bus station that would take me to work, to go to the nearest mall, or to go to people's homes. Since I live with seniors at home, I need to be more accountable and careful in my activities now. So riding my go-to vehicle is not really an option for me at the moment. I look forward to the day when I get to ride this one again and get my hair disheveled by the wind ;)

4. Campus Life
As a teacher, I truly miss seeing my students in the classroom. I still believe that face to face sessions give learning a more personal and insightful experience. I know that more than anyone, my students are missing the campus life as well. More than the formal lectures, it's the human interaction and the memories shared that everyone treasures the most. And so I hope, that one day, someday, I'll get to see schools filled with students and teachers again. I hope that this time has taught all of us to value each other and value the privilege of being in a learning institution and use that to be better people and shape better communities.

5. Physically interacting with people
We interact with people in different methods and levels of intimacy, but regardless, we are built to interact and share a specific time with one soul and another. I used to get annoyed whenever I face crowded places or hear obnoxiously loud voices in cafes, but this time has indeed taught me that these are all part of how we were built and that if we are removed that privilege, we get lonely, we feel blue. This is indeed true. Now more than ever, whenever I see people and notice that we meet in the eye, regardless if I know them or not, I give them a nod and eye smile (because we're geared with masks). People shape communities, and communities are nothing but a row of concrete blocks without people who make things more vibrant and alive. More than anything, I also miss my friends. I miss hugging them every time we run into each other. I look forward to the day I get to freely hug people and I'll make sure to make the most out of our time spent together.

6. The Beach
I truly miss being by the beach. I can still recall one sunny afternoon spent under a parasol, lying down and taking a nap, with the beach waves serving as my lullaby. I look forward to the day that we get to visit the beach again and just momentarily escape the city.

7. Travelling with friends and family
Travelling with the people dear to you is a great opportunity to build stronger bonds. The places you visit, the activities you share, the food you enjoy, the adventures and the mishaps are collected experiences that everyone will forever remember and keep. I really look forward to the day when I can take my family out to a trip again, we haven't done this in a long time and it's something that I've always wanted to gift them with. This last longing in my list is actually something that I look forward to the most, and it is what inspires me to keep working hard and endure the hard times of today. I know that there will be a perfect time for everything, and I know fully well that this is a reward we all are looking forward to enjoy.

January is about to end and I wish to gift you with something for the next coming months. I'm bringing back the Monthly Downloads section to the blog where you can download your free Mobile and Desktop Calendar Wallpapers. This year's theme would be all about travel, and every month, I shall be sharing with you bits and pieces about the photograph/s featured. I hope that you'll be able to use these as a medium to track down your days and at the same time, look forward to the things that are about to come.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD:

We long for a lot of things and most of the time, things that we have taken for granted. And I know how tough it has been for all of us, there may be times where we do not find the motivation to keep looking forward and hope for a better day, but I hope you'll find the strength to always remember and look back to those days where joy abounds. Use these memories to keep going, to look forward, to yearn to be better - a better friend, a better child, a better person as a whole. We'll get through this, my dear friend, this I am sure of. I hope that you know that you're never alone and that there will always be someone out there willing to listen and care for you.

May today and always be a Happy Heyday!

FOLLOW THE HEYDAYS


Comments

  1. it is so true what you wrote here. I also did not like crowds and loud people before but now, I long for those days when I see a crowd and all I feel is annoyance and not fear or worry that one of them might be a virus carrier and could spread to the others. I miss travel too and basically being able to move freely.

    Liz
    www.piecesofliz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to know that I'm not alone in feeling this, Liz! Here's to hoping that we can, one day, feel safe and free to roam around again. In the meantime, I hope you're staying safe and healthy!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this post. I am definitely craving some freedom to go away on holiday and be away from ym laptop. Some gorgeous snaps in this, I miss sunshine and exploring!

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie! Thank you for dropping by and for spending time with me here. I appreciate your kind words! And yes, I miss exploring too. I hope you'll still be able to find pockets of adventure despite our current situation. I'm sure there are places left unnoticed around us, we just need to open our hearts and eyes for it ;)

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  3. I miss physical contact so much! And I can't wait till we can get back into theatres, galleries and museums without all the restrictions in place!

    Katie | katieemmabeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree with you more, Katie! Do share when you get the chance to go into one, I look forward to reading and hearing from your future adventures. Take care always!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  4. I miss traveling! Before the pandemic, I was studying in South Korea but now I'm back in the US staying with my family. I miss Korea a lot. Especially, the hustle and bustle of the city (I lived in Seoul). I'm not one who likes crowds or socializing with strangers but I do miss the city life. Crossing my fingers that we all can travel aboard again this year. ♥

    www.mooeyandfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michelle, I miss Korea too! I think I know just how you feel when it comes to longing for that city. I hope we can both go back to and even meet in Seoul someday ;)

      Take care of yourself!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  5. I actually felt uplifted when reading the first part of this post! There truly is some hope in the air now... although it's far away at least here in Europe with all this mess about vaccine deliveries. But at least there is hope! I used to go every week to Cork on the bus and then another bus trip outside of town for my Italian class, and that bus trip was so annoying!! Also the crowded streets in the afternoon would annoy me. Now I really long to see it, because crowded streets are signs of busy life, normal life and a bustling town. I also really miss hanging out in our favourite coffee shop having a good coffee and chat with the owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne, thank you for taking time to read this entry, I truly appreciate it! I'm happy to know that a lot of you resonate with me. One great thing that could come out of this experience would be our gratitude for our surroundings, activities, and the people we interact with. I hope that we'll be better and more loving people when all of this is gone and we can go back out again!

      In the meantime, I hope that you'll stay safe and continue making your music!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  6. I really resonate with you here. I miss travelling and going to the beach copious amounts. I also miss interacting with people, seeing my friends on the regular. I hope we get back to some normality by the end of this year. A long way away, but feeling hopeful. x

    Zoey | www.zoeyolivia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you Zoey, let's continue to hope for a better time for all of us to live in. I hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  7. Hi, it's my first time here!

    I miss everything that's listed here. When I was working as flight attendant, the best thing that I get to see is the morning sky and clouds. Best office view ever. Oh, I miss commuting without having to wear face mask and face shield and of course the fear of getting covid (god forbid).

    I love your visuals! Glad that I was able to visit this site. xo

    Kai from The Dainty Pusa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kai! Thank you so much for dropping by and for taking time to read. I'm glad that you can relate with this one and it's great to know that there are a lot of us who are missing these things, it just goes to really show that we'll never be alone and that there are people willing to share these things with you.

      Let's get in touch! Looking forward to read your blog as well <3

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)