MAKE EVERYDAY A HEYDAY.
love, light, sorrow, joy, faces, places, and the memories they hold -
these are the elements of our heyday

Hey There!

Heydays With Hanna is an online journal about travel memoirs, design musings, photographs, and personal reflections. I hope to be able to encourage you all to embrace everything about the mundane and extraordinary days and make every moment a Happy Heyday!
Latest Stories

REMEMBERING THE IMAGES OF SPRING

Seoul, South Korea
Every now and then, places speak and connect with us in more ways than one; They imprint in our hearts and minds enough for it to remember and vividly rekindle the memories of its beautiful sights, encounters with different types of personalities, and every single sound it creates. Places and spaces impact the way we live, the way we think, and the way we dream of tomorrow. Personally, Seoul is that one place that speaks to me strongly. It's probably my life-long exposure to Korean friends whom I grew up with or the inclination I have with their culture in design and art, but for some weird reason, I feel myself the most whenever I am in Seoul. I find myself creatively recharged and inspired, ideas spring up and develop, and my heart receives all the warmth and comfort it can get just by purely walking around and visually conversing with its landscape and different scenes.

I had a scheduled trip back to Seoul this month to spend some time with my dear friends and to attend my best friend's wedding. But with the current situation we are all in, plans to go back has been postponed. Though the idea of not being able to see my dearest friend get married still hurts me, I have come to assure myself that there will always be another time to go back and make up for what we missed. And so, with this thought still lingering around my heart and mind, I wish to share with you some photographs of the place that I love and long for the most.
You don't have to be a Kpop fan to truly enjoy this place. More than anything, you will get to know the place and its culture by just walking around and intentionally observing how everything interacts and coincides. If there's anything that this place can boast about other than music and food, it would be their beautiful and lush landscapes that magically transform as the season changes. I would recommend Spring (March-June) and Autumn (September-November) as the best times to visit this place; both seasons share the kind of weather that enables you to move around and explore without being agitated by the heat or uncomfortably cold. If you're curious, I wrote about my Autumn experience in Seoul here

Today I wish to show you some scenes that I enjoyed the last time I visited during Spring. Unlike the melodramatic shades of Autumn, everything is gleefully vibrant in Seoul during this season. It's as if the leaves and the flowers are celebrating the idea of being out in their new cycle as they naturally bask under the warm glow of the sun. Seoul has a pretty large footprint and in between each district would be large patches of land exhibiting different types of trees, bushes, and flowers. If you're someone who enjoys nature, you will not run out of options in this place. But if you're here for the first time and don't have much time to explore, I would highly recommend you checking out Universities to get a glimpse of both nature, university life, and even Architecture. My personal favorites would be Hongik University and Ehwa Women's University
Aside from being one of the country's well-known schools for Design and Art, the Hongik University campus is indeed a place filled with inspiration and resting spots. Contrary to its monolithic facade, the campus has a large and beautiful landscape. Aside from observing campus life and activities, make sure to get yourself a cold drink from the vending machine to, sit in one of the benches, and bask under the lush greenery and fresh spring air.
One of my favorite Architectural wonders could be found in Ehwa Women's University. This structure houses the university library and was designed by French architect Dominique Perrault. The perfect example of how architecture, landscape, and urban fabric can interact and perform as one whole system. Aside from this modern architectural wonder, the huge campus also has a large garden in the middle that connects to the different buildings or departments. I especially love the English Tudor style inspiration used for the majority of their campus buildings, it somehow took me back to the scenes of one of my favorite movies as a child Ever After.
If you are not into campus tours, another way to enjoy Spring in Seoul is by hunting for blooms. It is a common image and presence that you will get to see and enjoy just by walking around the numerous flower shops, cafes, commercial establishments, and even residential buildings that celebrate the vibrancy and soft textures of both flora and fauna.
The Margueritte or the Daisy is a common bloom that you would see popping out randomly on sidewalks and facade plant boxes. I personally like this bloom a lot for its simplicity yet vibrant personality. I also like how even kids can associate with them and be able to point them out quickly, saying its name out loud. It has that friendly and warm character that resonates with everyone who sees it.
If you would like to get to know the real Seoul, you would have to go deeper. I truly think that it is high time we get to see other angles of this country other than the music, drama, and pop-culture. I have nothing against all these, in fact, I appreciate how they put so much effort and thought into their entertainment industry. But believe me when I say that Koreans are also known to be one of the best craftsmen and storytellers around the world.
If I were to recommend a few Springtime activities for you, I would definitely encourage you to walk around Ihwa Mural Village and the Samcheongdong area. There are specific spots to visit and enjoy but once in a while, in your walks, you will also come across random art studios, ateliers, and tea houses that you might want to check and experience.
Looking back at unpublished images once in a while would definitely transport you to a specific time, memory, and place. Most of which would ignite a desire, a sense of longing, a happy thought, and inspiration - enough to get through the next few days or weeks of the regular things. It would remind you of seasons, colors, sights, and sounds that speak to you and create a lifelong impact in your life. These are images that would help you remember, smile, and look back.
These images of Spring and Seoul remind me of that lovely time spent with the people I love and care about. It's images like these that make me long to physically be there, touch surfaces, shake hands of people, interact with them freely, and truly be able to breathe without fear or hesitation.

What are the images that you recently remember or long for?

Happy Heyday!
-

HEYDAYS IN SEOUL

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos, I love how vibrant everything is and the variety in flowers. It's great that you can look back on these photos :)

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anika, I hope you had a good weekend! I appreciate your time spent to virtually go back to memory lane with me. I agree, the flowers are indeed rich in variety. I would say Seoul is one of the best places to explore during spring because of the beautiful and vibrant blooms around it. <3

      Have a good week ahead!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  2. Ah Seoul. I love that city so much I badly want to go back too! I am amazed by how they were able to put cultural places (e.g. hanok village & palaces) in the middle of a busy cityscape and it still looks like it all blends well together? There is more to South Korea than Kpop and Kdramas, I agree with you. I am a Kpop fan but when I got the chance to visit Seoul, I enjoyed every bit of it as a tourist and not just as a Kpop fan. Their tourism is so good. How often do you see foreigners walking around in a country's traditional dress on the streets? Omg not here! And that's one of the reasons why Seoul will always be wonderful place to visit, atleast for me. Thanks for sharing this with us Hanna, your photos made me so nostalgic💕

    Ann | www.annchoi.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ann! How was your weekend? I hope you were able to get some R&R!<3 I am so glad to hear that we actually share the same love for the place and the culture. I am a second generation fan and I grew up to their music. Thank you so much for spending some time with me here and just be able to look back, I wish you a good week ahead. Continue to stay safe out there!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  3. It looks so peaceful and idyllic - wow! Also, I love your flower photos - so vibrant and gorgeous!!

    https://www.agirlwithview.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natasha! It is indeed idyllic <3 I'm really glad to be able to share these pockets of memories with you guys. Thank you so much for stopping by, I really appreciate it. I wish you a great week ahead!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry you couldn't go but I do hope that you will be able to reschedule your trip and see your friend soon, even if it won't be for her wedding. The photos you've shared are so interesting and beautiful, Hanna - I love the architecture and the gorgeous spring flowers. I've never been but it's definitely on my list. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katerina, thank you so much for spending some time with me here! I always appreciate and look forward to your lovely insights ❤️ We were able to reschedule the trip to a later day this year, but we still have to see how things are going by then. There's really nothing certain for all of us at this point, yeah? It's just really great that we have these beautiful memories to look back to and look forward to the day where we all get to roam around freely again without fearing for our health and safety.

      I hope you are doing well with your family! Looking forward to your new recipes <3

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  5. Spring is honestly under appreciated. Maybe because everyone is truly looking forward to summer.
    I've never been to Seoul but its on my bucket list.
    I feel like I'm there with these pictures.
    xxxx

    ooomaye.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Omaye! I truly agree with you about how underappreciated Spring is in most parts of the globe. But it is indeed one of the best times to just marvel on the beauty of our surroundings ❤️ I am sure you will love Seoul, and I'm pretty sure you will find so much fashion inspo there as well! Thank you for taking the time to virtually experience Spring in Seoul with me!

      Wishing you a great week ahead!

      Hanna

      Delete
  6. Seoul looks and sounds like a beautiful city to visit! I love how vibrant the trees and flowers are during Spring. It's always a lovely feeling when you find a place that instantly makes you feel at home and inspired. All of your photos are beautiful!

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kara! It really is worth the trip ❤️ I am sure you will also love and enjoy it too! I have to agree with you about finding the place that best connects with you, it really does exist and it changes us in more ways than one! Thank you very much for taking time to read and view the images. I really appreciate it!

      I hope that you are well and safe. Have a good week ahead of you!

      Cheers,
      Hanna

      Delete
  7. Such lovely photos, what a beautiful place you live in! xo

    Makeup Muddle

    ReplyDelete

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)